We at Ad.ly set out to create an in-stream advertising network that would help advertisers reach their goals while rewarding Influencers for the quality content they produce and the following they have attracted.
And for the most part, that is exactly what happened. Our Influencer Network business has very quickly evolved into a scalable micro-endorsement platform.
But like everyone in the rapidly growing “Stream” economy, we are learning in real time what works, and what does not.
That’s why – as we approach Ad.ly’s one-year anniversary – we are making some important changes that will help us provide a better service for everyone.
(“Everyone” includes advertisers, influencers, and our newest constituents – the developers who build Twitter applications and publisher websites – plus Ad.ly.)
1. The Ad.ly Referral Program is now closed.
We want to thank everyone who helped spread the word about Ad.ly in the early days, which helped us grow our network of top Influencers. But going forward, we are discontinuing our referral program.
Of course, we will honor our existing commitments to referrers of active Ad.ly Influencers as of the close of business today. But thereafter, no new referral fees will be paid.
2. The Ad.ly Influencer Network requires that you have at least 5,000 followers on Twitter or 5,000 friends on MySpace.
As of today, you must have at least 5,000 followers on Twitter or 5,000 friends on MySpace in order to have an active Ad.ly Influencer Network account (meaning you are “in-market” and available for advertising opportunities).
These minimums are designed to set realistic expectations for Ad.ly Influencers, some of whom have expressed frustration with waiting for an advertising opportunity to come into their Ad.ly account.
They are based on the rapidly evolving dynamics of the micro-endorsement market. Advertisers are opting to reach out via a small number of influencers with large followings, as opposed to using a large number of influencers with smaller followings.
1. If you are an Ad.ly Influencer with 5,000 followers or friends, or more, nothing will change for you as a result of this new policy.
2. If you are an Ad.ly Influencer with fewer than 5,000 followers or friends, and you have a balance due from us, here’s what to expect:
- We will keep your account active (in-market) until you reach our $50.00 minimum pay-point. At that time, we will issue you a W-9 to initiate payment via check or PayPal (your choice).
- We will then take your account out-of-market until such time as you reach the 5,000 follower of friend count.
- Once you hit one of those minimums, we will email you to make it easy to bring your account back in-market.
3. If you are an Ad.ly Influencer with fewer than 5,000 followers or friends, and no balance due, your account will be taken out-of-market effective at the close of business today. Once you hit one of these minimums, we will email you to make it easy to bring your account back in-market.
4. If you would like to be an Ad.ly Influencer, but do not yet have 5,000 followers or friends, you can still create an account with Ad.ly at any time. As soon as you hit one of our minimums, we will email you to make it easy to bring your account in-market.
We apologize for the inconvenience some of you may have experienced while waiting for an ad to come in.
Once you hit one of our new minimums, we hope you will give Ad.ly another try – to get rewarded for the quality content you create and the following you attract. Here are some ideas on how to increase your engagement and grow your following on Twitter.
As always, please feel free to email us with questions at Help@Ad.ly